Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Colonial Heights, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Brick House At Conjurer's Neck

 
 
The Brick House At Conjurer's Neck Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, May 28, 2017
1. The Brick House At Conjurer's Neck Marker
Inscription. Conjurer's Neck, located on this peninsula formed by Swift Creek and the Appomattox River, was occupied by Native Americans as early as 1000-3000 BC. This general area supported a substantial Appamattuck Indian settlement by AD 1600. Richard Kennon, a Bermuda Hundred merchant who later served in the Virginia House of Burgesses, purchased the Neck in 1677. He and Elizabeth (Worsham) settled here soon after, and their firstborn son was laid to rest here in 1688. By the mid-18th century, the Kennon family had built the Brick House, for years a navigational landmark on the river. The Conjurer’s Neck Archaeological District is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Erected 2016 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number S-91.)
 
Location. 37° 17.119′ N, 77° 21.994′ W. Marker is in Colonial Heights, Virginia. Marker is on Waterfront Drive east of Dunston Point Parkway, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 131 Waterfront Dr, Colonial Heights VA 23834, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Old Brick (Kennon) House (within shouting distance of this marker); Conjurer's Field Prehistoric Native American Village
The Brick House At Conjurer's Neck Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, May 28, 2017
2. The Brick House At Conjurer's Neck Marker
(within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Clifton (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Fort Clifton (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Clifton (approx. 0.4 miles away); Confederate Fortification (approx. 0.6 miles away); Ellerslie (approx. 2.3 miles away); a different marker also named Ellerslie (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Colonial Heights.
 
Also see . . .  The Old Brick House Foundation. (Submitted on May 29, 2017.)
 
Categories. Colonial EraNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers
 
The Brick House image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, May 28, 2017
3. The Brick House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 29, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 29, 2017, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 62 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 29, 2017, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement