Lake City in Florence County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
H.H. Singletary Building
This two-story commercial building was built in 1910 by Henry Horace Singletary (1848-1912) as the H.H. Singletary Company, with a grocery store on the first floor. Singletary, perhaps the most prominent businessman and civic leader in the town from Reconstruction into the 20th century, once owned almost 600 acres in what is now downtown Lake City. He also ran a sawmill and brickyard.
Erected 2014 by The Lynches Lake Historical Society. (Marker Number 21-40.)
Location. 33° 52.358′ N, 79° 45.264′ W. Marker is in Lake City, South Carolina, in Florence County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street (Business U.S. 378) and South Acline Street, on the right when traveling Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 E Main St, Lake City SC 29560, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Palmetto State Bank Robbery (within shouting distance of this marker); Lake City (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Church Street/Main Street (about 600 feet away); W.T. Askins House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Whitehead Infirmary (approx. ¼ mile away); Greater St. James A.M.E. Church (approx. ¾ mile away); Browntown (approx. 8.2 miles away); Cooper's Academy / Bethesda Methodist Church (approx. 9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lake City.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 30, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 30, 2017, by Jane Ruschky of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 86 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 30, 2017, by Jane Ruschky of Columbia, South Carolina. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.