Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lansing in Ingham County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

George E. Palmer / Old Newsboys

 
 
George E. Palmer / Old Newsboys Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Rieske
1. George E. Palmer / Old Newsboys Marker
Inscription.
George E. Palmer
George E. Palmer (1862 - 1944) served Lansing as a truant officer, police officer and superintendent of buildings for the Lansing Public Schools. Beginning in 1900 as a truant officer, Palmer worked with students who were not attending school. He determined that absenteeism was often caused not from disinterest, but because children lacked proper footwear. Around 1910 Palmer founded a charity with his own salary: the next donation was a fifty dollar gift from Metta Olds, wife of auto entrepreneur Ransom Olds. Mrs. Olds later became president of the Palmer Shoe Fund. Schoolchildren also contributed nickels and dimes to purchase shoes for needy schoolmates. Shoes were distributed to children upon the recommendation of teachers.

Old Newsboys
The Lansing tradition of raising money to provide shoes and boots for needy schoolchildren began around 1910 when truant officer George E. Palmer established the Palmer Shoe Fund. In 1924 the Old Newsboys Association, led by its first president R. Guy Brownson, was organized to assist in the efforts begun by Palmer. The Old Newsboys cooperated with The State Journal and the Lansing Capital News to publish and sell a spoof newspaper during a one-day fund-raising drive. Clergy, educators, businessmen, politicians and other citizens joined in the effort.
Old Newsboys Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Rieske, May 30, 2017
2. Old Newsboys Marker
Since 1932 The State Journal has printed the humorous tabloid annually hawked by Old Newsboys on area streets. During the 1990s the paper's one-day circulation reached over 100,000 copies. The Old Newsboys' mission remains to provide shoes and boots for needy schoolchildren.
 
Erected 1994 by Bureau of Michigan History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1908.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 44.043′ N, 84° 33.033′ W. Marker is in Lansing, Michigan, in Ingham County. Marker is at the intersection of N. Grand Avenue and E. Michigan Avenue., on the right when traveling north on N. Grand Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Block N. Grand Avenue, E side., Lansing MI 48933, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kerns Hotel Fire / Box 23 Club (within shouting distance of this marker); Lansing's Labor Holiday (within shouting distance of this marker); Joe Louis Barrow 1914-1981 (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fannie Richards 1840-1922 (about 500 feet away); Herbert Henry Dow 1866-1930 (about 500 feet away); Stevie Wonder b. 1950 (about 600 feet away); Helen Thomas B. 1920 (about 600 feet away); Gordie Howe b. 1928 (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lansing.
 
More about this marker. Located in Wentworth Park, on the E. side of N. Grand Avenue, 100 Block.
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkEducationNotable Persons
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 30, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos:   1. submitted on May 30, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan.   2. submitted on May 31, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement