Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Grand Gulf in Claiborne County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

First Grand Gulf Naval Battle

Grand Gulf Historic Tour

 
 
First Grand Gulf Naval Battle Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 26, 2017
1. First Grand Gulf Naval Battle Marker
Inscription. In May 1862, cannoneers of Brookhaven Light Artillery, commanded by Captain James Hoskins, reached Grand Gulf. Hoskins had gunners emplace and mask four 6-pounders on bluffs behind the village. The task was to harass the Federals fleet commanded by Flag Officer Commodore David Farragut. On May 26, 1862 the Confederate artillerists wisely let three warships pass undisturbed, but as unarmed transports drew abreast, the four 6-pounders roared into action scoring hits on the "Laurel Hill". Before the warships could get into a position to return the fire, the flying battery was gone. Captain Thomas Craven, commander of the warship "Brooklyn", determined to teach the Confederates a lesson by bombarding the town of Grand Gulf. Captain Craven, intent on burning the town, conferred with Brigadier General Thomas Williams and agreed to spare the town, but to send Federal forces to levy a forced contribution of cattle, pigs, poultry and wood upon the populace. Under cover of darkness on the night of June 8, 1862 the Confederates moved 6 and 12-pounders into position on the ridge behind Grand Gulf. The next morning crews of these guns struck the "Wissehicken" and "Itasca" while these vessels were passing the batteries.
 
Erected by the Grand Gulf Military Monument Commission.
 
Location.
First Grand Gulf Naval Battle Marker in the middle. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 26, 2017
2. First Grand Gulf Naval Battle Marker in the middle.
32° 1.894′ N, 91° 3.141′ W. Marker is in Grand Gulf, Mississippi, in Claiborne County. Marker can be reached from Grand Gulf Road 0.1 miles north of River Road. Touch for map. Located within the park at Fort Wade. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12006 Grand Gulf Road, Port Gibson MS 39150, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Second Grand Gulf Naval Battle (here, next to this marker); Victories and Defeats - The Cost of War (here, next to this marker); This XIII-inch Mortar (a few steps from this marker); The Spanish House (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Wade (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Wade Ammunition Magazine (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Rifle Pits (within shouting distance of this marker); Water Wheel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Gulf.
 
Also see . . .  Wikipedia article on the Battle of Grand Gulf. (Submitted on May 30, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesWar, US CivilWaterways & Vessels
 
View of marker from the Spanish House. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 26, 2017
3. View of marker from the Spanish House.
Grand Gulf Military State Park entrance. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 26, 2017
4. Grand Gulf Military State Park entrance.
The water you can see is the overflow flood waters from the Mississippi River. The normal river flow is nearly a half mile from here. The road leading to Fort Cobun was also flooded.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 20, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 30, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 76 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 30, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement