Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tarpon Springs in Pinellas County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

St. Ignatius of Antioch Church

Established 1889

 

—Oldest Catholic Community in Pinellas County —

 
St. Ignatius of Antioch Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Fr. Len Plazewski, May 16, 2017
1. St. Ignatius of Antioch Church Marker
Inscription. In 1888 land was donated for a Catholic church by former Arizona Governor Anson P.K. Safford. A small 28' x 18' mission chapel named St. Ignatius was built by Judge John D. Murphy on Lemon Street the following year, and on May 20, 1889, Father Philippe de Carriere, S.J. celebrated its first mass. By 1905 the church was expanded and in 1929 the mission was entrusted to St. Ceceilia parish in Clearwater. In the late 1940's Msgr. Colreavy purchased 10 lots at the present location and an army frame chapel was relocated to the site. The parish was canonically established on December 9, 1954 under the pastorate of Father William Dubois. The parish continued to grow rapidly over the next 15 years, and more adjoining land was purchased in 1976. Five years later the new church was dedicated. The church's seven large laminated pine beams were transported from North Carolina on the old Atlantic Coast Line Railroad's last local run. That rail line would become the Pinellas Trail.
 
Erected 2017.
 
Location. 28° 8.821′ N, 82° 44.708′ W. Marker is in Tarpon Springs, Florida, in Pinellas County. Marker can be reached from East Orange Street near North Huey Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is located on column near the entrance
St. Ignatius of Antioch Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Fr. Len Plazewski, May 16, 2017
2. St. Ignatius of Antioch Church Marker
of the church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 715 E Orange St, Tarpon Springs FL 34689, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rose Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Craig Park War Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); Tarpon Springs Sponge Industry (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Baker House (approx. 4.6 miles away); West Elfers Cemetery (approx. 4.6 miles away); Elfers (approx. 4.6 miles away); Old Elfers School (approx. 5.3 miles away); Seven Springs (approx. 6.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tarpon Springs.
 
Also see . . .  St. Ignatius of Antioch Parish. (Submitted on May 31, 2017.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Railroads & Streetcars
 
St. Ignatius of Antioch Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Fr. Len Plazewski, May 16, 2017
3. St. Ignatius of Antioch Church Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 31, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 31, 2017, by Fr. Len Plazewski of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 70 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 31, 2017, by Fr. Len Plazewski of Tampa, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement