Hawkesbury in Prescott & Russell Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
In 1805 Thomas Mears and David Patee leased islands in the Ottawa where they built a sawmill and a grist-mill. They constructed a dam across the channel to Hawkesbury West and there purchased 1,000 acres of land. In 1810 half of these properties were mortgaged to William and George Hamilton who later obtained full ownership. The Hamiltons enlarged the sawmill and made it one of the most productive in the province, exporting large quantities of "deals" (softwood planks) to Britain. The mills were owned by the Hamiltons until 1889. The hamlet opposite the mills was combined with the nearby "Hawkesbury Post Office" settlement in 1858 to form the incorporated village of Hawkesbury.
Erected by Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario.
Location. 45° 36.912′ N, 74° 36.106′ W. Marker is in Hawkesbury, Ontario, in Prescott & Russell Counties. Marker can be reached from John Street half a kilometer north of Du Chenail Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is located on Chenail Island, near the Le Chenail cultural center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 John Street, Hawkesbury, Ontario K6A 1X3, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 21 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies The Seigneury of L'Orignal (approx. 6.4 kilometers away); District Court-House and Gaol 1825 (approx. 6.9 kilometers away); The Founding of l'Orignal (approx. 7.1 kilometers away); MacLeod Settlement (approx. 21 kilometers away).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 31, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 85 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 31, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.