Dover in Screven County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The village was the home of Wilson C. Cooper, the educator who established Cooper College 1/4 mile east; George Cooper, the Second, inventor of the "Cooper plow"; William Cooper, the Baptist minister whose imposing home was near this marker; Dr. T.B. Cooper, the educator and Baptist minister; and J. Randolph Cooper, the Confederate officer.
Erected 1996 by Georgia Historic Marker. (Marker Number 124-13.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 35.456′ N, 81° 42.261′ W. Marker is in Dover, Georgia, in Screven County. Marker is at the intersection of Statesboro Highway (U.S. 301) and Scarboro Highway (State Highway 17), on the right when traveling west on Statesboro Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dover GA 30424, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers The March to the Sea ( here, next to this marker); Louisville Road ( here, next to this marker); Union Meeting House ( approx. 3.3 miles away); Old Savannah Road ( approx. 3.3 miles away); Sherman's Advance ( approx. 3.5 miles away); 1790 Union Meeting House ( approx. 3.8 miles away); First County Seat ( approx. 8.8 miles away); 1804 New Hope Methodist Church ( approx. 8.9 miles away).
Also see . . . Men of Mark in Georgia By William J. Northen, John Temple Graves. Pages 238-241 George W. Cooper, "Cooper Plows" (Submitted on August 18, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Notable Persons • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 18, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,021 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 18, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.