Lansing in Ingham County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Grand Trunk Depot
Constructed in 1902, this castle-like building with its square tower was the Lansing station for the Grand Trunk Western Railroad until 1971. For decades passengers streamed through its doors. Here servicemen left and returned from military duty. Children and adults alike associated this depot with the excitement of travel and vacations. This city's joys and sorrows were reflected in this rail station; greetings and good-byes were the most vital ingredients. But gradually rail travel ebbed. Renovated as a restaurant in 1972, the building's exterior remains unchanged. Gerald R. Ford from Michigan, the thirty-eighth president of the United States, dined here during a "whistle-stop" campaign tour on May 15, 1976.
Erected 1978 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L0521.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 43.204′ N, 84° 33.143′ W. Marker is in Lansing, Michigan, in Ingham County. Marker can be reached from South Washington Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1203 South Washington Avenue, Lansing MI 48910, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers REO Motor Car Company / REO Clubhouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); I-496 Olds Freeway (approx. 0.4 miles away); Olds Returns to Lansing (approx. 0.4 miles away); Michigan Sheriffs' Association (approx. half a mile away); Michigan Manufacturer's Association (approx. half a mile away); Woodbury-Kerns House (approx. half a mile away); Henry Ford 1863-1947 (approx. 0.7 miles away); Michigan Pharmacists Association (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lansing.
Also see . . . Grand Trunk Depot, from the Lansing City Pulse. (Submitted on June 16, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan.)
Categories. • Architecture • Notable Buildings • Politics • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 2, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. This page has been viewed 72 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 2, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. • William J. Toman was the editor who published this page.