Almonte in Lanark County, Ontario — Central Canada
Former Almonte Post Oﬃce
Begun in 1889 and finished in 1891, this building was erected to house postal and customs services. Federal chief architect Thomas Fuller was responsible for the design and Robert Cameron was the contractor. The building was part of a national programme to provide federal offices in well designed and prominently located structures. This building is influenced by the Romanesque Revival style as the wide voussoirs over the doors and windows illustrate. The steep, picturesque roof and richly colored and carved stone are characteristic of the period.
Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
Location. 45° 13.53′ N, 76° 11.711′ W. Marker is in Almonte, Ontario, in Lanark County. Marker is at the intersection of Mill Street and Little Bridge Street, on the right when traveling west on Mill Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 73 Mill Street, Almonte, Ontario K0A 1A0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mississippi River Improvement Company (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Founding of Almonte (about 120 meters away); The Rosamonds in Almonte "Auld Kirk" 1836 (approx. 2.3 kilometers away); Dr. James Naismith (approx. 3.4 kilometers away); Robert Tait McKenzie (approx. 5.1 kilometers away); The Mill of Kintail and Robert Tait McKenzie (approx. 5.1 kilometers away); Captain A. Roy Brown, D.S.C. (approx. 10.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Almonte.
More about this marker. The building now houses a fine Italian restaurant called Café Postino.
Categories. • Architecture • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 2, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 2, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 64 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 2, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.