Guanajuato in Municipality of Guanajuato, Mexico — The Central Highlands
The Temple of San Francisco
El Templo de San Francisco
—Un Museo llamado Guanajuato —
En el auge minero del siglo XVIII comenzaron muchas de las obras civiles y religiosas que distinguirían posteriormente a la orgullosa ciudad de Guanajuato. Una de ellas es el templo de San Francisco, originalmente de San Juan Bautista. Su construcción, todavía bajo el influjo de barroco inició en 1741, su portada de cantera con motivos vegetales da testimonio de este estilo arquitectónico.
En 1828, los frailes franciscanos, que tenían un hospicio contiguo, se hicieron cargo de esta iglesia hasta la actualidad; a mediados de ese mismo siglo se modificó el altar mayor y los laterales de este templo conforme a las corrientes arquitectónicas de estilo neoclásico de la época. El último detalle que se agregó a su fachada fue el reloj superior enmarcado en cantera verde.
The street known as Sopeña leads up to the magnificent church of San Francisco and the square of the same name.
The height of the miningoom (sic, mining boom) in the eighteenth century saw the construction of many of the civil and religious buildings that came to epitomize proud city of Guanajuato. One such was the church of San Francisco. Originally
In 1828, the Franciscan order – which already ran the hospice next door – took charge of the church, and has done to the present day. In the mid-nineteenth century, the main altar and the side altars were modified to make them conform to the neoclassical style that reigned during that period. The final detail to be added to its facade was the clock set in a frame of green sandstone. (Marker Number 17 of 19.)
Location. 21° 0.858′ N, 101° 15.114′ W. Marker is in Guanajuato, Guanajuato, in Municipality of Guanajuato. Marker is on Calle Sopeña, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. The marker is directly in front and to the left of the temple. Marker is in this post office area: Guanajuato 36000, Mexico.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Temple of San Juan Bautista (a few steps from this marker); House of Manuel Doblado (within shouting distance of this marker); Ignacio Bartolache (within shouting distance of this marker); Miguel Hidalgo and the Owl's Hill (within shouting distance Admiral Federico Rómero Ceballos (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Minting House of the State of Guanajuato (about 120 meters away); Vallejo Metals Processing Plant (about 180 meters away); Temple of San Diego (about 180 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Guanajuato.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 6, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 2, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 45 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 6, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.