Anderson in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Grace Episcopal Church
This Parish, organized in 1851 with the Rev. Benjamin Webb as its first vicar, grew out of occasional Episcopal services held in Anderson as early as 1844. The first church here, a frame Carpenter Gothic building, was completed in 1860 on land donated by Daniel Brown. Housing Anderson's first pipe organ, a tower was added in 1883, and stained glass windows in 1888. An 1890 fire did moderate damage.
The second church, a brick Gothic Revival building first used on Easter Sunday 1904, incorporated windows from the original church and a fine collection of Art Glass nave windows. Several Bishops have served here. Including Ellison Capers, Theodotus Capers, and Roger Harris. In recent years, the parish sponsored outreach efforts such as the Sunshine House, Interfaith Ministries (AIM), and Meals On Wheels.
Erected 2001 by Grace Episcopal Church Parish. (Marker Number 4-30.)
Location. 34° 29.968′ N, 82° 38.856′ W. Marker is in Anderson, South Carolina, in Anderson County. Marker is at the intersection of South McDuffie Street and East Reed Street, on the left when traveling south on South McDuffie Street. Touch for map. Marker is located on the church
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Historic Wilhite House (within shouting distance of this marker); St. John's Methodist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); G. Ross Anderson Jr. Federal Building and United States Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Living Tribute (approx. 0.2 miles away); William Bullein Johnson (approx. 0.2 miles away); In Commemoration of Black Pioneers (approx. 0.2 miles away); Anderson County Courthouse Annex Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); The First Baptist Church Bell (approx. ¼ mile away); Masonic Temple -- 1889 (approx. ¼ mile away); Bank of Anderson Building - ca. 1891 (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anderson.
Regarding Grace Episcopal Church. Grace Episcopal Church is one of the key contributing properties in the 1971 listing of the Anderson Historic District in the National Register of Historic Places.
Also see . . .
1. Grace Episcopal Church. The official Grace Episcopal Church website. (Submitted on August 19, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
2. Anderson Historic District. Anderson came into being in 1826 with the formation of Anderson County, and as a courthouse seat, the community was quick to develop. (Submitted on January 10, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Ellison Capers. Ellison Capers (October 14, 1837 – April 22, 1908) was a school teacher, Confederate general in the American Civil War, theologian, and college administrator from South Carolina. (Submitted on January 10, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
4. Handbook of Texas Online - Capers, William Theodotus. William Theodotus Capers, second bishop of the Diocese of West Texas of the Protestant Episcopal Church, was born in Greenville, South Carolina, on August 9, 1867, the son of Ellison and Charlotte (Palmer) Capers. (Submitted on January 10, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
5. Grace Episcopal’s stained glass windows that have survived fire, century of age restored. The Rev. Jack Hardaway’s breath caught when he turned and looked at the light coming through the tops of the stained glass windows on the south side of the sanctuary Wednesday afternoon. (Submitted on December 15, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Grace Church
Of the two Episcopal churches in the county,
Following the Rev. Mr. Seabrook and the Rev. John Elliott who served during the war years 1861 and 1862, the church was kept alive by the devotion of its women. In 1866 General Ellison Capers was a lay reader and afterwards his son, who became
The first service in the present building was conducted on Easter Sunday 1904 by Bishop Ellison Capers. The brick and stone structure was erected on the same site under the able direction of Christopher Sayre, and a building committee composed of Dr. S.M. Orr, Fred G. Brown, and R.C. Webb. These last three and C.W. Webb, R.E. Belcher, and E.A. Bell are mentioned in the earliest recorded minutes of vestry meetings. Serving as a warden for many years after the present building was constructed was Judge Milledge Bonham, Chief Justice of the South Carolina Supreme Court.
An interesting footnote as to the conventions of the early days of this community is that in the early congregations other than the Episcopal and the Catholic, it was the custom for the men to sit on one side and the women on the other. (Source: Anderson County Sketches, The Anderson County Tricentennial Committee, 1969.)
— Submitted January 10, 2009,
2. Grace Episcopal Church
The present structure was erected in 1904, replacing an earlier building on the same site. Bishop Ellison Capers conducted the dedication ceremonies. In the earlier church, Confederate General Ellison Capers was a lay reader and his son, later Bishop W.T. Capers of Texas, had his first charge here. Judge Milledge Bonham, chief justice of the S.C. Supreme Court, was a warden. (Source: Anderson Historic District National Register nomination form.)
— Submitted September 20, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
3. Obituary for Milledge Lipscomb Bonham, Noted Member of Grace Episcopal
Milledge Lipscomb Bonham
Milledge Bonham served as Judge of the Tenth Circuit from 1924-1931, as an Associate Justice of the South Carolina Supreme Court from 1931-1940, and as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court from 1940-1943. He practiced law in Anderson. He was married to Miss Daisy Aldrich and, following her death, he married Dr. Lillian L. Carter.
He was prominent in politics, fraternal orders, church activities, historical societies, social organizations and organized Bar efforts. The respect accorded him as a man and able lawyer
"Like the leaders of the Old South, he too, made as his greatest contribution grace and nobility of Character."
— Submitted January 10, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
4. Rt. Rev. Ellison Capers, D.D.
A man of exalted character and achievement, Bishop Capers' became one of the distinguished prelates of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the South and was the seventh bishop of the Diocese of South Carolina. He was known as "the soldier bishop," and with utmost consistency has it been written that "He was one of the most eminent figures in the South, and hundreds of South Carolinians are proud to claim him as their source of inspiration, whether as teacher, soldier, or Episcopal bishop of South Carolina."
Ellison Capers was born in Charleston, South Carolina, on the 14th of October, 1837, and was a scion of an influential family whose name has been closely and worthily identified with the history of South Carolina since 1694. His grandfather was Captain William Capers, one of "Marion's Men" in the war of the Revolution — "though an officer, still a man; either way an honor." The father of Bishop Capers was an eloquent divine of the Methodist
"Coming events cast their shadows before," but little did the parents of Bishop Capers know of what the future had in store for the child who first saw the light of day in that beautiful city by the sea, a city enclosing, among its quaint old buildings, facts and traditions and memories dear to remembrance. At the age of nine years Ellison Capers became a pupil of Doctor Brumby, head master of a then celebrated school that has honorable record in the history of educational work in South Carolina. In January, 1854, young Capers was nominated for a cadetship at the Arsenal, at that time the training school for the state's historic academy known as The Citadel. During the transformation scene between Arsenal and Citadel life, he endured much, and following the old rule of Rugby, Eaton and West Point, he never "peached" when passing through the ordeal that awaits the young recruit.
Cadet Ellison Capers was graduated at The Citadel as a member of the class of 1857 and became assistant professor of mathematics and belles letters in that institution. At this time also was solemnized his marriage to Miss Charlotte Rebecca Palmer, of St. Johns, Berkeley County, South Carolina. His native state was about entering
In an issue of the Edgefield (South Carolina) Chronicle a layman has written as follows: "Bishop Capers is perhaps the most widely known and most universally beloved man in South Carolina. We do not mean to say that his being bishop over the Episcopal Church in South Carolina makes him thus, although as high and broad a Christian as Bishop Capers is more than apt to be generally appreciated and honored. It is the Bishop's noble record in the Confederate war, joined to his almost perfect personal character, that causes him
General Butler and General Capers were warm friends; indeed their early acquaintance and friendship soon ripened into a love that lasted throughout the life of the dead soldier and bishop. Close comrades in peace and war, none knew better or had a higher admiration for the lamented dead than his friend and comrade in arms, ex-Congressman Gen. M. C. Butler, who this morning paid the following beautiful tribute to his life-long friend:
"Edgefield, April 26. — Special:
"The death of Bishop Capers leaves but three of the thirty-three general officers in the Confederate armies from this state, Stephen D. Lee, T.M. Logan and myself.
"I do not mean to disparage the high qualities of my two surviving friends and comrades, and trust they will not so regard it, when I say, in my opinion, Capers was a better man than either of us. In his sphere of action there was no more valiant, accomplished
"We all know how he devoted the best years of his life in conscientiously, bravely, faithfully carrying out those orders of his Supreme Commander. No higher encomium can be awarded him than to say he was a good citizen, in what is supposed to be a free republic, measuring up to the full height of his responsibilities as such.
"He was a chivalric gentleman, endowed by nature and employed in his daily life, with a grace, a patience and considerate firmness that few men possess.
"The last time I met him we were passengers in the same carriage, going in that imposing procession to the unveiling of the Hampton monument, in Columbia. It was my fortune to be selected to deliver the principal address. Bishop Capers was appointed to open the proceedings with prayer. We all recall the fervor, eloquence, grace and sincerity of his delivery.
"The world can ill afford to spare such men, but like all mortals he had to go, and although not present at the final summons, 1 venture the opinion he met the 'grim spectre' as fearlessly and bravely
"He was not afraid to die—why should he have been? He had discharged every duty to his God and his country, and I believe as firmly as I believe in my own existence that when his purified spirit left its mortal habitation, it took its flight 'straightway to realms of everlasting peace, there to enjoy communion with Bishop Lieut.-Gen. Leonidas Polk, of Tennessee, the Reverend Brigadier General Pendleton, of Virginia, soldiers of the world and of the cross, and other exalted spirits and patriots who had preceded him. He leaves surviving one distinguished comrade in each sphere — the Rev. Gen. Clement A. Evans, of Atlanta, who exemplified in his life the best type of soldier and American citizen. May he be spared many years to continue his high ideals as an example to those who come after him."
In 1867 Ellison Capers became a priest of the Protestant Episcopal Church. For twenty years he served as rector of Christ Church, Greenville, South Carolina. A beautiful memorial window, costing more than $10,000, is now one of the visible testimonials to the love and reverence in which his name is kept in Christ Church. For one year he was at St. Paul's Church, Selma, Alabama. This church, incidental to his consecration as bishop, sent to him the Episcopal ring, with a letter full of appreciation.
"Thou hast the nobler virtues of thy race, Without the failings that attend those virtues; Thou canst be strong, and yet not tyrannous, Canst righteous be and not intolerant."
When Ellison Capers died, April 22, 1908, there passed from earth one of the gentlest, sweetest spirits that has ever mingled with the lives of men. Endowed with great physical strength, and with a mind singularly alert, versatile and powerful, he had the heart of a child and the heart of a lion; he was a counselor, guide and staff to the humblest, and to the highest; a soldier in war, a soldier in peace, he was ever erect, resourceful, conquering, yet making all who came under his powerful spell to feel that God at times vouchsafes to man the essence of divinity. In his life, as in his death, he was known as "the best loved man in South Carolina," and the knowledge that he deserved this crown of praise is the heritage of his church and his state.
"The bells that yesterday sent out from St. Michael's historic tower the tidings of the death of Bishop Capers have never sounded the knell of one more beloved, admired and respected. They have announced the decease of presidents, and governors and bishops and rectors and others of distinction in state and nation, for six score years and more, but for no man of them all has their reverberating message worked more universal and sincere sorrow. His has been a place unique in his native commonwealth. He touched its life at many points. As citizen, as soldier, as educator, as public official, as bishop, he has met the expectations and justified the confidence of his people, who delighted to do him honor as they followed his progress with sympathetic admiration and growing appreciation, bidding him to one high place after another until at the ' last, as leader of his church's host in South Carolina, they crowned his career of honorable service with the most exalted testimonial of trust and love in their power to offer. For fifteen years as bishop — more truly servant of all than ever before — he so bore himself in his high office as to have won the admiration of his peers, the good will of his fellow Christians of every name, and the devotion of
After the death of Bishop Capers there came to his family many letters from different parts of the United States. As a separate booklet these letters would reveal the impressions of varied lives of men and women in every condition of life—letters from Bishop Weed, of Florida; Bishop Gailor, of Tennessee; Bishop Nelson, of Atlanta, Georgia; Bishop Cheshire, of North Carolina; Bishop Bratton, of Mississippi, and many other letters of deep feeling. An extract from the letter of the late Bishop Potter of New York City shows the attitude of the Northern bishop to the Southern friend. A silver service now in possession
At the time of Bishop Capers' death he was survived by his wife and seven children, five sons and two daughters—Francis Fasseaux, John Gendron. William Theodotus, Ellison, Walter Branham, May (Mrs. Charles B. Satterlee), and Lottie (Mrs. William H. Johnson). Of the sons it should be recorded that Rev. Walter B. is president of Columbia Institute, in the State of Tennessee, and author of a life of his father, issued under the title of, "The Soldier Bishop." Hon. John G. Capers, a distinguished lawyer in the City of Washington, D.C., is the subject of an individual sketch on other pages of this work. Perhaps the mantle of Bishop Capers' great goodness has fallen upon his third son, the Rt. Rev. William Theodotus Capers, who is now bishop of the diocese of West Texas, his home being at 106 West French Place, San Antonio, that state. He is eloquent and beloved, and is full of natural patriotism. His addresses delivered over the State of Texas influenced vast numbers of young men to enlist for service in the World war. The State of Texas sent him a testimonial of appreciation of his character and service.
The late Rev. Charles S. Vidder wrote as follows concerning his friend, under the title "Ellison Capers":
Where knightly deed was done;
The Sydney of the stainless shield,
And princely heart in love revealed
When the red f1eld was won.
His falchion sheathed a shepherd then,
His knightly deeds are sure;
Alike to rich and poor.
The good Sir Galahad of men,
Whose strength was as the strength of ten,
Because his heart was pure.
He sleeps a paladin at rest.
In Heaven's eternal peace;
His life on others' lives imprest;
His name, his words, his memory blest,
By tongues that will not cease."
(Source: History of South Carolina, Volume 4 by Yates Snowden (1920), pgs 258-261.)
— Submitted September 20, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 18, 2008, by Ronald Miller of Gray Court, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,486 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 18, 2008, by Ronald Miller of Gray Court, South Carolina. 2. submitted on September 20, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 3. submitted on August 18, 2008, by Ronald Miller of Gray Court, South Carolina. 4. submitted on September 20, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 5. submitted on August 18, 2008, by Ronald Miller of Gray Court, South Carolina. 6. submitted on September 20, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 7. submitted on March 4, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 8. submitted on August 18, 2008, by Ronald Miller of Gray Court, South Carolina. 9. submitted on August 25, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 10. submitted on June 15, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 11, 12. submitted on August 25, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 13. submitted on June 15, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 14. submitted on August 25, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 15. submitted on June 15, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 16. submitted on March 4, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 17, 18. submitted on July 27, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.