Brant in Erie County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Town of Brant Memorial Park
Originally named Sampton in 1820,
Morse's Corners in 1835, and organized
as BRANDT on Mar. 25, 1839 after the
Mohawk Chief Col. Joseph Brandt.
His Indian name, Pha-wan-da-nee-gah,
meant "Wood partly burned" or brand.
Mill Branch became Farnham in 1852
in honor of Leroy Farnham, an early
merchant and Erie Co. sheriff.
Erected 1976 by Erie County Bicentennial Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Spirit of 76, America's Bicentennial Celebration marker series.
Location. 42° 35.31′ N, 79° 1.065′ W. Marker is in Brant, New York, in Erie County. Marker is at the intersection of Brant Farnham Road (New York State Route 249) and Brant Angola Road (County Route 323), on the right when traveling west on Brant Farnham Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Angola NY 14006, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. In Memory of the Sons (a few steps from this marker); Town of Brant Honors (a few steps from this marker); Western New York (approx. 3.6 miles away); "Angola Horror" (approx. 3.8 miles away); Site of "Bundy's Mill" (approx. 3.9 miles away); Dedicated to the Memory (approx. 3.9 miles away); Birthplace of Willis Haviland Carrier (approx. 3.9 miles away); Dedicated in Grateful Appreciation (approx. 3.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brant.
Categories. • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 10, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 10, 2017, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 87 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 10, 2017, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.