Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sandy Spring in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Sandy Spring

 
 
The Sandy Spring Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, June 9, 2017
1. The Sandy Spring Marker
Inscription. The Sandy Spring community took its name from this spring, which provides fresh water filtered through the sandy soil. In 1745, the spring was located on what was once known as “Snowden's Manor” and later known as “Harewood”. In 1910, John and Rosalie Gittings and William and Mary Bosley sold this parcel of land to Herbert and Elsie Stabler. It was purchased by Samuel Childs McCeney and Katharine Marlow McCeney in 1942 and remained in their family until 2002.

This site is dedicated to the past, present, and future residents of Sandy Spring in hopes the activism that has characterized the community for centuries will continue in the future. This spring has long been a source for contemplative thought and a place to recognize that we are dependent on this land and should be watchful caretakers.

The spring and a one-acre parcel of land surrounding it were donated to the Sandy Spring Museum by the families of Kathleen Hoffman Smith and Richard McCeney Hoffman in memory of their parents, Virginia McCeney Hoffman and Leon D. Hoffman, Jr. The leadership shown by several organizations including Greater Sandy Spring Green Space, Inc., The Religious Society of Friends, The Sandy Spring Museum, The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission, and Winchester Homes, Inc. resulted in the preservation
The Sandy Spring Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, June 9, 2017
2. The Sandy Spring Marker
of this site for the community.
 
Location. 39° 8.394′ N, 77° 1.243′ W. Marker is in Sandy Spring, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Meeting House Road when traveling south. Touch for map. Note: Meeting house road is closed from a point just beyond the Old Meetinghouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 17811 Meeting House Road, Sandy Spring MD 20860, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. History of the Sandy Spring Friends Meeting House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Sandy Spring Friends Meeting Site (approx. 0.6 miles away); Quakers Practicing their Faith in Montgomery County (approx. 0.8 miles away); Woodlawn (approx. 0.9 miles away); African Americans and Quakers in Sandy Spring (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Holland Red Door Store (approx. 1.1 miles away); Olney House (approx. 2.6 miles away); Higgins Tavern (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandy Spring.
 
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
Sandy Spring, 1745 image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 11, 2009
3. Sandy Spring, 1745
The Sandy Spring image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 11, 2009
4. The Sandy Spring
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 13, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 10, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 59 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 10, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement