Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Veracruz in Municipality of Veracruz, Mexico — The Gulf Coast
 

The Convent of San Francisco

 
 
The Convent of San Francisco Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 23, 2017
1. The Convent of San Francisco Marker
Inscription.
Convento de San Francisco
1El primer templo de la orden franciscana en la ciudad de Veracruz estuvo construido en madera con un pequeño torreón de mampostería, en 1715 en atención al decreto de Cal y Canto, el templo es construido de mampostería de piedra múca, con el patrocinio de la Universidad de Mareantes de Sevilla y en este mismo año es enterrada ahí la bisnieta de Cortés, Doña Angela Cortés y Arellano quien falleció en 1663 y fue trasladad a la iglesia cuando esta fue construida.

Una construcción importante ubicada inmediata a la iglesia fue la Capilla de la Tercera Orden, el convento estaba unido a la iglesia por el costado norte y se componía de un patio con celdas en planta alta y bajo, debido a la desamortización de los bienes del ciero algunos años después, sirvieron a la Aduana como grandes depósitos de mercancías y el 5 de mayo de 1871 fue Inaugurada la Biblioteca del Pueblo en el área de la iglesia. En 1872 se instaló un faro sobre la torre del convento que llevó el nombre de Benito Juárez porque su instalación coincidió con la muerte del Benemérito de las Américas. Finalmente en 1964 es liberada de toda ornamentación religiosa y se utiliza para rendir homenaje al presidente Benito Juárez y La Reforma de 1857 promulgada en esta ciudad de Veracruz.

English translation:
The
The Convent of San Francisco Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 23, 2017
2. The Convent of San Francisco Marker
The lighthouse is no longer functional. It was used by Mexican snipers during the 1914 US invasion. During the invasion it was then hit by artillery from the US gunboat "Chester".
Convent of San Francisco
The first temple of the Franciscan Order in the city of Veracruz was built of wood with a small masonry tower. In 1715, in accordance with the decree of “Cal y Canto”, this temple was built of coral masonry, under the sponsorship of the University of Mareantes of Seville. In this same year the great-granddaughter of Cortés, Angela Cortés y Arellano, was buried here. She died in 1663 but was transferred to the church when it was built .

An important construction located immediately next to the church was the Chapel of the Third Order. This convent was united to the church’s north side and was composed of a courtyard with rooms on the top and bottom floors. Due to the confiscation of church property a few years later, it served as a Customs House and large warehouse. On May 5, 1871 the People's Library was inaugurated in the area as the church. In 1872 a lighthouse was installed on the tower of the convent that took its name from Benito Juárez because its installation coincided with the death of the “Most Worthy of the Americas”. Finally, in 1964 all religious ornamentation was removed from the former church and it was designated as a place of tribute to President Benito Juárez and the Reform of 1857 which was promulgated in this city of Veracruz.
 
Location. 19° 
The Convent of San Francisco image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 23, 2017
3. The Convent of San Francisco
An interior view of the ex-temple of the convent, now used as a tribute to Juárez and other Mexican heroes.
12.101′ N, 96° 8.309′ W. Marker is in Veracruz, Veracruz, in Municipality of Veracruz. Marker is on Calle Benito Juárez just west of Avenida Ignacio Zaragoza, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Veracruz 91700, Mexico.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Municipal Council in Mexico (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Portal de Miranda Building (about 180 meters away); Major General Álvaro Obregón (about 240 meters away); The Mexican Naval Academy (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Veracruz Memorial to the Fallen of Foreign Invasions (approx. half a kilometer away); Lieutenant José Azueta (approx. half a kilometer away); The Veracruz City Museum (approx. half a kilometer away); Monument to the Heroes of 1914 (approx. 0.6 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Veracruz.
 
Categories. ArchitectureChurches, Etc.Colonial EraMan-Made Features
 
The tomb of Cortés' great-granddaughter, mentioned in the marker text. image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 23, 2017
4. The tomb of Cortés' great-granddaughter, mentioned in the marker text.
Aquí yaze la muy noble Señora Doña Angela Cortés y Arellano, bisnieta del gran capitán y famoso conquistador deste reyno Don Fernand Cortés. Fue su fallecimiento a diezyocho de junio año de 1663. (El marcador adicional lee: Al hacerse la restauración del edificio, se encontró esta lapida que se conservo en su lugar original Marzo de 1968)

English translation:
Here lies the very noble Mrs. Angela Cortés y Arellano, great-granddaughter of the great captain and famous conqueror of this kingdom, Fernand Cortes. She died on June 18, 1663. (The additional marker reads: When the building was restored, this gravestone was found and preserved in its original place. March 1968.)
An additional marker inside the ex-convent that describes its restoration in 1968 image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 23, 2017
5. An additional marker inside the ex-convent that describes its restoration in 1968
La restauracion de este monumento histórico
es un homenaje a
Don Benito Juárez
En este recinto el ilustre patricio promulgo
el primer cuerpo de leyes de la Reforma,
durante los anos de 1859 y 1860, en que Veracruz
fue sede de los poderes de la Union
Fue inaugurado por el C.
Presidente de la Republica.
Gustavo Diaz Ordaz
H. Veracruz, marzo de 1968

English translation:
The restoration of this historic monument
is a tribute to
Benito Juárez
In this enclosure the illustrious patrician promulgated the first body of laws of the Reform
during the years 1859 and 1860, where Veracruz
hosted the government of the Union
It was inaugurated by the
President of the Republic
Gustavo Diaz Ordaz - Veracruz, March 1968
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 12, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 12, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 60 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 12, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement