Grand Gulf in Claiborne County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
This XIII-inch Mortar
—Grand Gulf Historic Tour —
was probably used by the Union
in the fight for Vicksburg.
In the early 1900's it was seen
partially buried in the levee
on Davis Island. These mortars
were mounted on schooners
or box-like boats. The Mortars
weighed 17,000 lbs. and fired
200 lb. explosive "bombs".
(On loan from R. Lee Parker III, Ernest Parker,
Mrs. Carroll SoJourner, and Mrs. Holly Baker).
Erected by the Grand Gulf Military Monument Commission.
Location. 32° 1.899′ N, 91° 3.136′ W. Marker is in Grand Gulf, Mississippi, in Claiborne County. Marker can be reached from Grand Gulf Road. Touch for map. Located within the park at Fort Wade. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12006 Grand Gulf Road, Port Gibson MS 39150, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Grand Gulf Naval Battle (a few steps from this marker); Victories and Defeats - The Cost of War (a few steps from this marker); Second Grand Gulf Naval Battle (a few steps from this marker); The Spanish House (a few steps from Fort Wade (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Wade Ammunition Magazine (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Riﬂe Pits (within shouting distance of this marker); Water Wheel (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Gulf.
Categories. • War, US Civil • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 12, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 12, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 94 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 12, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.