Grand Gulf in Claiborne County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
—Grand Gulf Historic Tour —
Parrott rifles) manned by
cannoneers from either Guibor's
or Wade's Missouri Batteries
were mounted in this
emplacement. These guns were
used against the attacking
gunboats on April 29, 1863.
Erected by the Grand Gulf Military Monument Commission.
Location. 32° 1.86′ N, 91° 3.206′ W. Marker is in Grand Gulf, Mississippi, in Claiborne County. Marker can be reached from Grand Gulf Road. Touch for map. Located at the Grand Gulf Military Park (Fee charged). Marker is at or near this postal address: 12006 Grand Gulf Road, Port Gibson MS 39150, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Water Wheel (within shouting distance of this marker); Scotia (within shouting distance of this marker); Rodney Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Confederate Memorial Chapel (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Rodney Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church (about 300 feet away); Paddle Wheel of the Confederate Transport Charm Bombardment of Confederate Fortifications by Federal Gunboats (about 400 feet away); Grand Gulf Military Park (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Gulf.
Also see . . . Wikipedia article on the Battle of Grand Gulf. (Submitted on June 12, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 12, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 12, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 93 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 12, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.