Near Guy Hollow in Scott County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Block House
—The Anderson Block House Monument —
Built about 1777 by Captain John Anderson, who died here in 1817, it stood until burned in 1876.
This tablet to mark its site was erected in 1921 by a descendant of William Brown who recorded in his journal: “We waited hereabouts near two weeks for company and then set out for the Wilderness with twelve men and ten guns, this being Thursday, 18th July (1782).”
Erected 1921 by a descendant of William Brown. The land for the location of this monument was granted by O. M. Smith.
Location. 36° 36.485′ N, 82° 30.848′ W. Marker is near Guy Hollow, Virginia, in Scott County. Marker is on Smith Hollow Road (County Route 606) just north of East Carter Valley Road (County Route 704), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Smith Hollow Road is off East Carters Valley Road 0.6 miles east of Wadlow Gap Road (State Route 224). Smith Hollow Road is a one lane gravel road. There is an overgrown pull-off in front of the marker that one car can squeeze in to leave the road passable. Marker is in this post office area: Gate City VA 24251, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Rock Ledge (approx. 2.2 miles away in Tennessee); First Court of Scott County (approx. 2.7 miles away); McConnell's Birthplace (approx. 2.9 miles away); a different marker also named First Court of Scott County (approx. 2.9 miles away); Big Moccasin Gap (approx. 2.9 miles away); Donelson's Indian Line (approx. 2.9 miles away); Carter Musical Family (approx. 3.3 miles away); Blackmore’s Fort (approx. 3.7 miles away).
Also see . . . Daniel Boone Wilderness Trail. “A blockhouse is a log structure with an upper story that overhung the first. The Anderson Blockhouse was an assembly point for thousands who used the Wilderness Trail to venture into the wilds of Kentucky. Although the original blockhouse is no longer evident, the driving tour passes by its original location. John Anderson built his blockhouse on a knoll just northeast of where the marker stands today. The Anderson Blockhouse functioned as a collecting place for individual pioneers until a party of sufficient size was assembled to make the passage down the Wilderness Trail. It was the last contact with the Holston Settlements, and even though, a few forts existed beyond this point, it really defined the frontier.” (Submitted on June 13, 2017.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 17, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 13, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 102 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 13, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the replica of the Anderson Block House located in Natural Tunnel State Park • Can you help?