Pendleton in Madison County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Town of Pendleton
When first discovered, the falls were a natural wonder. In the midst of a dense forest flowed a pristine creek cascading over terraces of magnificent stone.
According to legend, Native Americans believed the area around the falls offered a sanctuary from violent storms. No tornado or windstorm could ever strike in this valley. No one knows the legendís rationale, but perhaps it is because of the contour of the Fall Creek valley and the peculiar course of the stream along the west edge of what is now Pendleton.
The natural falls gave this area its identity. Early on, the emerging settlement was even called The Falls. The fallsí waterpower gave pioneers cause to settle here. The falls powered mills to grind grain for bread, to saw wood for cabins, and to make cloth for clothing.
John Rogers, the communityís first settler, arrived on Dec. 29, 1818, choosing land a half mile east of the falls. Seven more families, all from Springfield, Ohio, arrived in 1820.
The location was ideal: a waterfall providing power and water, and a ford providing access for tradesmen and others traveling from Conner Prairie and points south to Fort Wayne and points north.
The significance of waterpower was gradually diminished by the discovery of natural gas in east central Indiana
In 1920, the falls and the adjacent stone quarry became a park and a lake, their natural beauty once again drawing residents and visitors from miles around.
Location. 40° 0.35′ N, 85° 44.645′ W. Marker is in Pendleton, Indiana, in Madison County. Marker is on Falls Park Drive 0.1 miles from North Pendleton Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located within Falls Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 299 Falls Park Dr, Pendleton IN 46064, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Indians Murdered 1824 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Abolitionists Mobbed (about 300 feet away); Falls Park (about 600 feet away); Three White Men Were Hung Here (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pendleton Town Hall Explosion (approx. 0.3 miles away); Carnegie Library (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bicentennial (approx. 7.1 miles away); The Anderson Street Railway (approx. 7Ĺ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pendleton.
Additional keywords. Parks
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 14, 2017, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 103 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 14, 2017, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.