Mountain City in Johnson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
First Baptist Church Bicentennial Celebration
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1A-105.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 36° 28.544′ N, 81° 48.522′ W. Marker is in Mountain City, Tennessee, in Johnson County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street (Route 418) and Shady Street (U.S. 421), on the right when traveling east on West Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mountain City TN 37683, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Roderick Random Butler (approx. 0.3 miles away); Laurel Bloomery The Trading Ground (approx. 9½ miles away); “Virginia Creeper” Railroad (approx. 13.3 miles away in Virginia); Christmas Tree Farms (approx. 13.3 miles away in Virginia); “Maud Bows to The Virginia Creeper” (approx. 13½ miles away in Virginia); Green Cove Station (approx. 13½ miles away in Virginia); Green Spring Presbyterian Church (approx. 15.3 miles away in Virginia).
Also see . . . History of the First Baptist Church of Mountain City, Tennessee, Page 1. “The congregation has met in two different locations and three houses of worship. The first house of worship was a log building at the foot of Rainbow Mountain. In 1843 the congregation moved into the new town of Taylorsville and built a house of worship, which is the site of the present location. The small brick building was the meeting house of the congregation until 1851, when the building was razed and the present building was built.” (Submitted on June 14, 2017.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 14, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 14, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 68 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 14, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.