Pentress in Monongalia County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Catawba War Path
Erected 1990 by the West Virginia Department of Culture and History.
Location. 39° 42.833′ N, 80° 6.783′ W. Marker is in Pentress, West Virginia, in Monongalia County. Marker is on Buckeye Road (County Route 29) north of Mason-Dixon Highway (West Virginia Route 7), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. It is in the parking lot of the Mason-Dixon Historical Park. Marker is in this post office area: Morgantown WV 26501, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Border Heroine (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Catawba War Path (approx. 0.4 miles away); Statler's Fort (approx. 1.3 miles away); Monongalia County/Pennsylvania (approx. 2.8 miles away); Blacksville (approx. 5 miles away).
Regarding Catawba War Path.
“The [Warrior] Trail runs from Greensboro, Pennsylvania, on the Monongahela River in the east to the Ohio River in West Virginia. In prehistoric times it was used to obtain supplies of flint from the Flint Ridge area in Ohio and conduct commerce. From the eastern terminus ... on the Monongahela River the trail is generally east-west about 5 to 6 miles north of the Mason Dixon line ... It extends 45 miles westward across Greene County ... [and] Marshall County, West Virginia ... to the western terminus on the Ohio. The trail follows the divide between watersheds. There are no streams to ford.” —quoted from the Warrior Trail Association website.
A branch of the Warrior Trail crossed what would become the Mason-Dixon line and continued past where this marker is located.
The Mason–Dixon Line forms the southern border of present-day Pennsylvania and the western border of Delaware, separating them from West Virginia and Maryland. It is a perfectly straight line west-to-east where it makes a right angle and continues straight south terminating at the end of the east-west border separating Delaware from Maryland. It was surveyed when the states were still British colonies by Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon between 1763 and 1767 as they worked their way from east to west. Maryland and Pennsylvania both claimed the land between the 39th and 40th parallels according to the charters granted to each colony. (The three counties that form present-day Delaware were then part of Pennsylvania.)
Also see . . . The Mason-Dixon Line. John Cletheroe and his contributors clearly explain the difference between the geographical and political meanings of the term “The Mason-Dixon Line.” (Submitted on May 24, 2007.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Landmarks • Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 24, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,057 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 24, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.