Olton in Lamb County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of the First Lamb County Courthouse
First county officials were: Judge H. R. Miller; Commissioners, J. A. Hooper (Precinct No. 1), Claude E. Halsell (No. 2), G. M. Arnett (No. 3), Walter Sullivan (No. 4); sheriff, Herb Dickenson; clerk, George Gallaway; treasurer, Fred Schreier; assessor, Luther Williams.
A new courthouse of brick and concrete was built here, 1922-23. After a 1946 election, the county seat was removed to Littlefield.
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4930.)
Location. 34° 10.858′ N, 102° 8.087′ W. Marker is in Olton, Texas, in Lamb County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Avenue and 8th Street, on the left when traveling south on Main Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is on the southeast corner. Marker is in this post office area: Olton TX 79064, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Olton's Union Church Bell (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Olton Halfway (approx. 10½ miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 20, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 20, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 70 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 20, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.