The Widow Earsley
Erected in 1923 by the former and present residents of the Town of Caroline as a memorial in honor of the Widow Earsley as the first pioneer settler. She came on horseback into this New York wilderness, purchased one hundred acres of land, and built a log cabin on this site in 1794 as a future home for herself and ten children.
Erected 1923 by the Former and Present Residents of the Town of Caroline.
Location. 42° 22.687′ N, 76° 17.485′ W. Marker is in Caroline, New York, in Tompkins County. Marker is at the intersection of Slaterville Road (New York State Route 79) and Pacific Road, on the right when traveling west on Slaterville Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brooktondale NY 14817, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cabin Site (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Home of Nathaniel Tobey (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Rich Tavern (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Speed Blockhouse (approx. 1.9 miles away); Eastern Boundary Cantine Military Tract (approx. 2.3 miles away); 1st Town Meeting (approx. 4 miles away); Dutch Reformed (approx. 4.2 miles away); The Old Abbey (approx. 4.9 miles away).
Also see . . .
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 20, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 20, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 102 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 20, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.