Center Meeting House, Newbury NH
New marker text
Built in 1832, the Center Meeting House appears to be inspired by Asher Benjamin’s designs for Federal period religious buildings. Construction was financed by the First Toleration Society who wanted a place where all denominations could meet. The conservative architectural details mixed with newer framing techniques make for a skillfully-designed and built rural interpretation of a high style building. The reverse pulpit plan, which places the pulpit between 2 doors at the front of the building instead of the rear. Is notable and a rare surviving detail.
Original marker inscription dating from 1971
This edifice of Bullfinch design was rebuilt here about 1832 with old timbers from the Meeting House on Bly Hill. Its age, name, and denomination remain uncertain. The building has become known as a museum piece of the 1820 decade. Its beautiful high colonial pulpit, with pews facing the vestibule, renders it unique among New Hampshire churches
Erected 1971 by The State of New Hampshire.
Location. 43° 19.253′ N, 72° 2.154′ W. Marker is in Newbury, New Hampshire, in Merrimack County. Marker is at the intersection of New Hampshire Route 103 and NH 103A (New Hampshire Route
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Newbury NH Veteran's Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); John Sargent Pillsbury (approx. 5.1 miles away); New London War Memorial (approx. 6.9 miles away); a different marker also named New London War Memorial (approx. 6.9 miles away); Washington NH Town Common (approx. 10.4 miles away); Washington NH (approx. 10.5 miles away); Washington NH Civil War Memorial (approx. 10.5 miles away); Birthplace of the Seventh Day Adventist Church (approx. 10.6 miles away).
More about this marker. There were originally two markers. The first was placed in 1971, and the newest one in 2016. The old marker is located at the entrance to the Meeting House. See photos.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 22, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 21, 2017, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. This page has been viewed 48 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 21, 2017, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.