Hilton Head Island in Beaufort County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
First African Baptist Church
This church, organized in 1862, was first located in the town of Mitchelville, a freedmanís village established on Hilton Head by the United States Army. Rev. Abraham Murchinson, its first pastor, was a former slave. The congregation numbered about 120 members when it was organized in August 1862.
Erected 2012 by The Congregation. (Marker Number 7-37.)
Location. 32° 13.436′ N, 80° 42.401′ W. Marker is in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker is at the intersection of Beach City Road and Eneterprise Lane, on the right when traveling north on Beach City Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 70 Beach City Rd, Hilton Head Island SC 29926, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this First African Baptist Church (a few steps from this marker); Queen Chapel A.M.E. Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); African Methodist Episcopal Church Beginnings (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Howell - 1864 (approx. 1.1 miles away); Fort Howell (approx. 1.1 miles away); Mitchelville Site (approx. 1.1 miles away); St. James Baptist Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); Cherry Hill School (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hilton Head Island.
Also see . . . Historic First African Baptist Church. (Submitted on June 22, 2017.)
Categories. • African Americans • Churches, Etc. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 22, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 21, 2017, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 60 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 21, 2017, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.