Floydada in Floyd County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Floydada
Several traveling ministers served the congregation during its early years. The Rev. R. E. L. Muncy was called as first resident pastor in 1897, and he organized the first Sunday School in 1899.
The congregation completed its first frame sanctuary at this site in 1908. Over the years additional property was acquired and larger structures were built to serve the growing membership.
Throughout its history, the First Baptist Church has served the community with a variety of worship, educational, and outreach programs. The members and pastors have placed an emphasis on both foreign and home mission activities. The church continues to play an important role in Floyd County history.
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1689.)
Location. 33° 58.899′ N, 101° 20.079′ W. Marker is in Floydada, Texas, Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 South Main Street, Floydada TX 79235, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Methodist Church of Floydada (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Floydada Chapter No. 31, Order of the Eastern Star (about 800 feet away); Floydada Lodge No. 712, A. F. & A. M. (about 800 feet away); First National Bank of Floydada (approx. 0.2 miles away); Organization of Floyd County (approx. ¼ mile away); Dolphin Ward Floyd (approx. ¼ mile away); Commercial Hotel (approx. ¼ mile away); Floydada, Texas (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Floydada.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 22, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 22, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 90 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 22, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.