Floydada in Floyd County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
1909 to 2009
The county seat was awarded to Floyd City during the election held May 28, 1890.
However, a post office named Floyd in Hunt County prevented the designation of Floyd City, thus changing the name to Floydada.
The town grew quickly as homes were built and businesses established.
The Santa Fe Railroad arrived in town in 1910 followed by the Quanah, Acme and Pacific Railroads in 1928.
Ranching and agriculture has sustained the town throughout the years.
School and churches also have provided strength and stability to the citizens of Floydada.
The City of Floydada was officially incorporated in October 1909 following the September elections. There were 58 of 75 votes 'for' the incorporation. The population was approximately 500.
Today, Floydada continues to provide a central point for agriculture and authentic country living.
Erected 2009 by City of Floydada.
Location. 33° 58.759′ N, 101° 20.417′ W. Marker is in Floydada, Texas, in Floyd County. Marker is at the intersection of West Houston Street and South 2nd Street, on the right when Touch for map. Marker is on the northeast corner. Marker is in this post office area: Floydada TX 79235, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Zimmerman House (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Methodist Church of Floydada (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Baptist Church of Floydada (approx. 0.4 miles away); Floydada Lodge No. 712, A. F. & A. M. (approx. 0.4 miles away); Floydada Chapter No. 31, Order of the Eastern Star (approx. 0.4 miles away); Commercial Hotel (approx. half a mile away); First National Bank of Floydada (approx. half a mile away); Organization of Floyd County (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Floydada.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 22, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 22, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 169 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 22, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.