Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Abingdon in Washington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Sinking Spring Cemetery

 
 
Sinking Spring Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 9, 2017
1. Sinking Spring Cemetery Marker
Inscription. In 1773, the Rev. Charles Cummings became the first minister of the Sinking Spring Presbyterian congregation, among the earliest in Southwest Virginia, and the first meetinghouse was soon constructed here of logs. The earliest marked grave in the cemetery is dated 1776. Buried here are pioneers; veterans of the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, and the Civil War; and two antebellum Virginia governors (David Campbell and John B. Floyd, who also served as President James Buchanan’s secretary of war). Cummings’s log manse, among the oldest east of the Mississippi River, was moved here in 1971 from its original site two miles north.
 
Erected 1998 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number K-52.)
 
Location. 36° 42.56′ N, 81° 58.924′ W. Marker is in Abingdon, Virginia, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Russell Road NW (Alternate U.S. 58) and Valley Street NW (Alternate U.S. 58), on the left when traveling west on Russell Road NW. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Abingdon VA 24210, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Confederate General John Hunt Morgan (a few steps from this marker); Boyhood Home of Gen. Joseph E. Johnston
Sinking Spring Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 9, 2017
2. Sinking Spring Cemetery Marker
(approx. ¼ mile away); Abingdon in the Civil War (approx. ¼ mile away); Abingdon (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Minutemen (approx. 0.4 miles away); POW★MIA (approx. 0.4 miles away); Martha Washington College (approx. 0.4 miles away); Split Rail Fence & The American Chestnut (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Abingdon.
 
Also see . . .  Sinking Spring Presbyterian Church History. “The Sinking Spring Cemetery marks the site of the first church building bearing the Sinking Spring name. Built as a front-log structure in the early 1700's, it was supplanted by a larger building sometime in the 1780's. This continued as the church site until 1831-1833 when the third building was built on Main Street and which building has now become the Barter Theater.” (Submitted on June 24, 2017.) 
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.
 
The Rev. Charles Cummings’s Log House image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 9, 2017
3. The Rev. Charles Cummings’s Log House
The oldest log house east of the Mississippi was moved to the grounds of the cemetery.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 24, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 24, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 55 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 24, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement