Dickens in Dickens County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
John A. Askins and his family settled near these springs in late 1883, and it became known to pioneers as Askins Springs. A traveling real estate developer called Dr. M. S. Crow arrived here in 1891 and was a driving force in the organization of the town of Dickens about a half-mile west of the Askins land. In 1891 he gave a speech proclaiming his intent to give ten acres around "Crow Springs," as he called them, to the town of Dickens. The new city park became known as Dickens Springs. Generations of Dickens citizens and tourists, attracted by the rugged and colorful scenery and the unique collection of plants, have visited this site for picnics and social gatherings. In 1978 the departments of Anthropology and of Park Management at Texas Tech University made an intensive survey of the land surrounding
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11718.)
Location. 33° 37.486′ N, 100° 49.585′ W. Marker is in Dickens, Texas, in Dickens County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 82 and Wilson Street, on the right when traveling west on U.S. 82. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dickens TX 79229, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dickens Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Dickens County (approx. 0.6 miles away); Site of Anderson's Fort or Soldier's Mound (approx. 6.9 miles away); Lisenby-Campbell House (approx. 10.1 miles away); Fourth U.S. Cavalry (approx. 10.2 miles away); Texas Agricultural Experiment Station at Spur (approx. 10½ miles away); Marshall Clinton Formby, Jr. (approx. 11.3 miles away).
Categories. • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 25, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 25, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 190 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 25, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.