New Orleans in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Saint Joseph Church
This building replaced an earlier church, erected in 1844 on Common St. (Tulane Ave.) opposite the Charity Hospital of Louisiana. Ground-breaking for the present edifice took place May 9, 1869. Construction continued intermittently until dedication, December 18, 1892. The Congregation of the Mission, first community to answer the appeal for European priests by Bishop Louis W. Dubourg, second Bishop of Louisiana (1815-1826), continuously served the parish from the time Fr. John Hayden C.M., became pastor in 1858. He remained until chosen U.S. Lazarist Provincial shortly after undertaking work on this monumental structure.
Erected by Archdiocesan Bicentennial Commission.
Location. 29° 57.443′ N, 90° 4.872′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker is on Tulane Avenue (U.S. 90) east of South Roman Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1802 Tulane Avenue, New Orleans LA 70112, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John Julian McKeithen (approx. 0.3 miles away); Superdome Vietnam Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Superdome Vietnam Wall Molly Marine (approx. half a mile away); Jazz (approx. half a mile away); The Clarinet (approx. half a mile away); Rebirth (approx. half a mile away); Bernard de Marigny (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Orleans.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 25, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 25, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 73 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 25, 2017.