Near Crosbyton in Crosby County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Pansy Baptist Church
Near Site of
The church building was moved two miles south in 1946 for the convenience of the membership. A parsonage was erected in 1947 for the congregation's first full-time pastor.
A new sanctuary was built and was dedicated on July 16, 1950. The church building burned in August 1965, and services were held in a church member's barn until December, when a new structure was completed. The church supported a strong mission outreach program.
Through the years population dwindled in the rural community of Pansy. In 1995 the remaining members of the Pansy Baptist Church voted to disband. The church building was donated to the Mt. Zion Baptist Church, an African American congregation in Floydada. The building was moved 32 miles by 140 volunteers from Crosbyton, Pansy, Floydada, and Wiley.
Erected 1996 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3932.)
Location. 33° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Crosbyton TX 79322, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Leatherwood School (here, next to this marker); Marshall Clinton Formby, Jr. (approx. 3.1 miles away); Old Dewey Lake (approx. 6.6 miles away); Two-Buckle Ranch Headquarters (approx. 6.6 miles away); Texas Ranger Campsite (approx. 6.6 miles away); Main Supply Camp on Historic Mackenzie Trail (approx. 6.6 miles away); Crosbyton Cemetery (approx. 8.6 miles away); J. J. Pierce (approx. 8.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Crosbyton.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 27, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 115 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 27, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.