Hampton, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
On Sacred Soil
The influx of soldiers at Fort Monroe prompted the commander, Lt. Col. Justin Dimick, to secure a better water supply by dispatching elements of the 4th Massachusetts Infantry to Mill Creek Bridge as well as the Segar and Clark farms here. Outraged local Confederate volunteers “swore vengeance on Massachusetts troops for the Invasion of Virginia.” Cavalry picket Dr. William R. Vaughan confronted Dimick and demanded, “By what right does your army cross that bridge and invade the sacred soil of Virginia?” Dimick replied, “By God, sir, might makes right!” The local Confederate commander, Lt. Col. Richard S. Ewell, ordered his small force (820 men and 300 flintlock muskets) across Hampton Creek away from Fort Monroe.
The Federals began constructing their camp, first known as Camp Troy and soon renamed Camp Hamilton in honor of Gen. Winfield Scott’s military secretary Lt. Col. Schuyler Hamilton, here on the Segar
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 37° 0.872′ N, 76° 19.086′ W. Marker is in Hampton, Virginia. Marker is on Water Street (Virginia Route 143), on the left when traveling south. Marker is just before the bridge leading to the Main Entrance of Fort Monroe in Hampton’s historic Phoebus area. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hampton VA 23663, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. War of 1812 (here, next to this marker); Saint Mary Star Of The Sea And Its School (about 400 Phoebus - The Gateway To The New World (approx. 0.3 miles away); Phoebus (approx. 0.4 miles away); A National Cemetery System (approx. 0.7 miles away); Fort Monroe Arsenal (approx. 0.7 miles away); Hampton VAMC National Cemetery (approx. ¾ mile away); a different marker also named Phoebus (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hampton.
More about this marker. The top of the marker contains a picture of “Camp Hamilton, Fort Monroe & Rip-Raps, Va.,” ca. 1861. Next to this is a photograph of Camp Hamilton’s commander, Lt. Col. Justin Dimick. Both pictures are Courtesy of The Casemate Museum, Fort Monroe, Va.
Also see . . . More Tidewater Virginia Sites. Civil War Traveler. (Submitted on August 19, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Camp Hamilton.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 19, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 3,571 times since then and 223 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 19, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 5. submitted on May 28, 2012, by Chancer Irving Hill of Hampton, Virginia. 6. submitted on August 19, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.