Historic Bel Air
Aerial Photo 13
Aerial photograph of Bel Air taken in 1964 showing the location of the old racetrack, construction of the bypass and John Carroll. MD Route 24 and the Harford Mall are not yet built.
Hanna Carriage Factory on Pennsylvania Avenue was one of several such factories in the Bel Air area in the 1880s. Later this became the location for Phillips Fuel and was bought by the Town. The first building on the right of structure was a blacksmith which became the first Bel Air Academy.
Pennsylvania Avenue/Hickory Avenue Slate sidewalks. Bel Air Academy is the white building on right.
Reportedly, the first motel in the state was built at the corner of Hickory Avenue and Moores Mill Road. Del Haven served motorists along Route 1, providing overnight accommodations, fine restaurant, walking trails, gardens and a pool. Locals also used the motel's pool and facilities.
Hickory Avenue before the library or town hall were built.
Reuben's Drive in Restaurant, located just west of town on Hickory Avenue at Moores Mill Road, was a popular gathering place for teens in the 1950s/60s. Roller skating servers brought orders right to your car door.
View of Broadway from Main Street
The Bel Air Volunteer Fire Company organized in 1923, replaced the earlier Bel Air Fire and Salvage Company. In 1940 this building, originally the Neuman Ice Cream Plant on the east side of Bond Street, was purchased to house equipment and volunteers, but soon became too small. The Fire company then bought the old County Roads Building on Hickory Avenue where the Company is located today.
The original Shamrock Mansion was burned by the local fire company to clear land for new development. The farm is now home to the Bel Air Library, Town Hall, Shamrock Park, the Shamrock Development and the Calvary Baptist Church.
First Catholic Church in Bel Air.
Soldiers marching down Main Street in Bel Air at the beginning of World War II as they were preparing to fight for their country.
Location. 39° 32.342′ N, 76° 20.862′ W. Marker is in Bel Air, Maryland, in Harford County. Marker is at the intersection of Hickory Avenue and Lee Way on Hickory Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is near the right side of the Band Shell. Marker is in this post office area: Bel Air MD 21014, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 6, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 29, 2017, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 127 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. submitted on June 29, 2017, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.