Princeton in Mercer County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Horse Chestnut Walk
Originally, it probably was lined by cherry trees, in which Annis Stockton hung lanterns to mark the way for guests at her Fourth of July party in 1783. At the end of the 18th century, her son, the Duke, replaced the cherries with horse chestnut trees. Two aged trees of this variety can be seen across the fence.
In the mid-19th century this was a favorite place for the family and guests to stroll. The monument commemorating the Battle of Princeton, erected in 1922, bisected and ended the walk.
Location. 40° 20.834′ N, 74° 39.986′ W. Marker is in Princeton, New Jersey, in Mercer County. Marker can be reached from Stockton Street (U.S. 206). Touch for map. This marker is on the grounds of Morven Museum and Garden, on the walkway between the house and the adjacent municipal building and park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 55 Stockton Street, Princeton NJ 08540, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Front Garden (here, next to this marker); W 3 R The House Front (within shouting distance of this marker); The Wash House (within shouting distance of this marker); The King’s Highway (within shouting distance of this marker); “The Washington-Rochambeau Historic Route” (within shouting distance of this marker); The Colonial Revival Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); Princeton Battle Monument (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Princeton.
Also see . . . Morven Museum & Garden. (Submitted on August 20, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Categories. • Natural Resources • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 19, 2008, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 738 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 19, 2008, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.