Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arlington in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Hawkins Cemetery

 
 
Hawkins Cemetery Historic Texas Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, May 18, 2017
1. Hawkins Cemetery Historic Texas Cemetery Marker
Inscription. Named for Harvey Hawkins (1804-1869), a pioneer settler who came to Texas from Tennessee and first settled in Rusk County, the Hawkins Cemetery is the final resting place for families of the Tate Springs community. In 1848, Hawkins married Mary Ann Elizabeth (Elliott) Hitt Turner (1817-1868) and they later traveled by wagon to what would become Tarrant County. A preemptive land grand was issued to Hawkins for 160 acres in Tarrant County by Sam Houston, governor of the State of Texas, in January 1860.

The cemetery began as a family plot located in the center of the property where the Hawkins couple and their children are buried. According to legend, a slave named Poly Penn was the first burial. No gravestone has been found but the location was marked on an early map. The earliest marked gravesite is that of Mary Hawkins in 1868. Rebekah Hawkins, Mary's daughter, married Jason Bryant Little before moving with her family to Tarrant County and settled near the Hawkins family. After Jason returned from fighting in the Civil War, they opened an elementary school. Their home was used as a stage coach stop on the Star Mail Route from Johnson Station, Texas to Fort Worth. A large arched monument stands at the north end of the cemetery, marking the gravesites of Rebekah, Jason and their families.

In 1890, property owner George
Hawkins Cemetery Marker vicinity image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, May 18, 2017
2. Hawkins Cemetery Marker vicinity
W. Kee sold the cemetery grounds to the community for use as a public burial ground. The Kee family is buried on the norther section of the cemetery. Additional acreage was acquired in 1919 from the Edwards and Tunnell families. Members of the community established a Cemetery Association in 1949 to maintain the cemetery and its records. Hawkins Cemetery chronicles the pioneer families that settled the area in the mid-1800s.
Historic Texas Cemetery - 2015
Marker is property of the State of Texas

 
Erected 2015 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18475.)
 
Location. 32° 39.672′ N, 97° 11.746′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of U.S. 287 Frontage Road and El Rancho Dr, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Located near the center of the cemetery. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5301 NB Hwy 287 Access Road, Arlington TX 76017, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kennedale Independent School District (approx. 1.8 miles away); General Edward H. Tarrant (approx. 4.3 miles away); Harrison Cemetery (approx. 6.7 miles away);
Hawkins Cemetery Sign with Historic Cemetery Medallion image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, May 18, 2017
3. Hawkins Cemetery Sign with Historic Cemetery Medallion
Booker T. Washington School (approx. 7.3 miles away); Isham Cemetery (approx. 7.4 miles away); Bankhead Highway Through Arlington (approx. 7.5 miles away); Houston Hitching Block (approx. 7.6 miles away); Carver Dixon King (approx. 7.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
 
Also see . . .  Hawkins' Cemetery. (Submitted on July 1, 2017.)
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 29, 2017, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 145 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 29, 2017, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement