Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Worth in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Fairmount-Southside Historic District

 
 
Fairmount-Southside Historic District Texas Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark
1. Fairmount-Southside Historic District Texas Historical Marker
Inscription. The Fairmount-Southside Historic District is a predominately residential area in the center of Fort Worth's Historic Southside. Located approximately two miles south of present-day downtown, the district is comprised of 22 separate additions containing more than 1,200 contributing residences, commercial buildings and other structures. It encompasses nearly 375 acres in about 100 square blocks. Most residences were built as wood-framed single-family cottages, bungalows and two-story foursquare homes.

Fort Worth was incorporated in 1873 in anticipation of the first railroad, which came through in 1876. Speculators bought and sold land they believed would turn the most profit if Fort Worth's economy was bolstered by the railroad. During the post-railroad boom, the city began to quickly expand south. Developers planned the additions that now comprise the Fairmount-Southside Historic District during the years 1883-1907. The largest was the Fairmount Addition, platted in 1890, which encompasses much of the western half of the district. When developed, the land on which the Fairmount-Southside Historic District now rests was on the southernmost edge of the city.

The district grew rapidly in its formative years, as many middle-income workers moved to Fort Worth for various employment opportunities. Within the first two decades
Fairmount-Southside Historic District Marker Vicinity image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, May 13, 2017
2. Fairmount-Southside Historic District Marker Vicinity
Photo taken during the Unveiling Ceremony, May 13, 2017.
of the 20th Century, streetcar lines ran down major district thoroughfares, including College and Fairmount Avenues, carrying railroad employees, doctors, lawyers, salesmen and merchants to and from their homes built on the Southside to their areas of employment. Beginning with Queen Anne and ending in the Craftsman style, the homes built by the original residents now showcase the evolution of domestic architecture of early 20th Century suburban America.
Marker is property of the State of Texas

 
Erected 2016 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18473.)
 
Location. 32° 43.593′ N, 97° 20.301′ W. Marker is in Fort Worth, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker is at the intersection of West Allen Avenue and Smith Street, on the right when traveling west on West Allen Avenue. Touch for map. This marker stands in a small parklet in the Fairmount-Southside National Historic District. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1200 W Allen Ave, Fort Worth TX 76104, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Grammer-Pierce House (approx. half a mile away); Fort Worth Zoological Park (approx. 1.1 miles away); Mt. Zion Baptist Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); Westbrook Estate (approx. 1.3 miles away); Eddleman-McFarland House (approx. 1 miles away); Fort Worth Main Post Office Building (approx. 1 miles away); St. Ignatius Academy Building (approx. 1.6 miles away); Hell's Half Acre (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Worth.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 30, 2017, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 60 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 30, 2017, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement