Princeton in Mercer County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The West Wing
In the 18th and early 19th centuries, African-American slaves performed most of the domestic tasks and worked on the farm. Tax records indicate that there were between one and six slaves working at Morven at any one time, but probably there were more. New Jersey passed a gradual emancipation law in 1804, and by the 1840 census the Stocktons owned no slaves. Initially their places were taken by free black and white servants. The 1860 census indicates that all the domestic servants at Morven were Irish immigrants.
The Stockton wives and daughters also engaged in domestic tasks. The ladies of the household ironed, made preserves, prepared food, and even bottled beer.
Location. 40° 20.869′ N, 74° 40.026′ W. Marker is in Princeton, New Jersey, in Mercer County. Marker Touch for map. This marker is behind Morven Museum and Garden. It is in a courtyard between the west wing of the house and the wash house. Marker is in this post office area: Princeton NJ 08540, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Colonial Revival Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); The Wash House (within shouting distance of this marker); The King’s Highway (within shouting distance of this marker); Twentieth-Century Changes (within shouting distance of this marker); The House Front (within shouting distance of this marker); The Horse Chestnut Walk (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Front Garden (about 300 feet away); The Princeton Battle Monument (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Princeton.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Events •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 19, 2008, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 688 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 19, 2008, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.