New Orleans in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Christ Church Cathedral
This congregation was founded in 1805, the first Episcopal church established in the former Spanish colony after the Louisiana Purchase. In its first service was held in the Cabildo on November 17, 1805.
An octagonal Gothic church designed by Henry S. Latrobe, Architect was erected at Canal and Bourbon Streets in 1815. It was replaced by a Greek Revival one designed by Gallier and Dankin in 1835. A third church in the Gothic Style was erected at Canal and Dauphine Streets in 1846 and served until 1885. Thomas K. Wharton, Architect James Gallier, builder.
The present church was built in 1886, Lawrence B. Valk of New York, Architect B.M. Harrod of New Orleans, supervising architect. The Right Reverend Leonidas Polk, D.D. first bishop of Louisiana and a General, C.S.A., who died in battle in the War Between the States, is entombed in the south choir aisle of this building.
Erected 1971 by Orleans Parish Landmarks Commission.
Location. 29° 55.816′ N, 90° 5.257′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker is on Saint Charles Avenue near Sixth Street, on the right. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2919 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans LA 70115, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Van Benthuysen-Elms Mansion (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mayor Isaac W. Patton House (about 700 feet away); Garden District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Maisonette Creole (approx. 0.2 miles away); R.N. Girling’s “English Apothecary” (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lafayette Cemetery No. 1 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Colonel Short’s Villa (approx. 0.2 miles away); Commander’s Palace (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Orleans.
Categories. • Architecture • Churches & Religion • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 2, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 2, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 97 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 2, 2017.