Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Quanah in Hardeman County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Old Mounds Cemetery

Historic Texas Cemetery

 
 
Old Mounds Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, June 8, 2017
1. Old Mounds Cemetery Marker
Inscription. This cemetery served residents of the original site of the community of Medicine Mound in southeast Hardeman County. The settlement took its name from mounds that rise abruptly from the otherwise flat topography of the county; one mound contained springs, herbs and gypsum believed to have medicinal properties. Established by the late 1800s, the community consisted of Gobins' General Merchandise Store, a school and a church. The cemetery was adjacent to the one-room building used both as a schoolhouse and sanctuary. Most early residents of the community participated in farming or ranching activities.

Little information is known about the early pioneers buried here. It is believed that approximately nine burials took place in the community's early history. Only one original gravestone, dated 1891, is preserved, and it marks the burials of two infants, Smoot and Ford Kerley, children of settlers J.C. and Ida Kerley. Other known burials are of Old Mounds residents of Mexican descent.

In 1908, the Kansas City, Mexico & Orient Railway laid track two and half miles north of here. Residents moved near the railroad and the previous community came to be known as Old Mounds. In 1919, the school relocated as well, and soon the old settlement was entirely abandoned, as was the cemetery. Today, this burial ground is all that remains of Old Mounds, a testament to the pioneering farmers and ranchers of this area and the Hispanic families who lived and worked here.

Historic Texas Cemetery
Old Mounds Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, June 8, 2017
2. Old Mounds Cemetery Marker

 
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13960.)
 
Location. 34° 9.166′ N, 99° 35.812′ W. Marker is near Quanah, Texas, in Hardeman County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 3295 and Farm to Market Road 1167, on the right when traveling east on Highway 3295. Touch for map. Marker is on the southwest corner. Marker is in this post office area: Quanah TX 79252, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hicks & Cobb General Merchandise Store (approx. 2.4 miles away); Medicine Mound Community (approx. 2.4 miles away); W. P. A. Sanitation Project (approx. 2.4 miles away); Texas Agricultural Experiment Station (approx. 5.4 miles away); Chillicothe First Methodist Church (approx. 8.5 miles away); Site of Old Pease City (approx. 9.7 miles away); Foard County (approx. 11.4 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Quanah (approx. 12.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Quanah.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesSettlements & Settlers
 
Old Mounds Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, June 8, 2017
3. Old Mounds Cemetery Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 2, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 2, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 58 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 2, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.
Paid Advertisement