Carthage in Panola County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Harrison and Shelby Counties
Created March 30, 1846
Organized July 13, 1846
Named for an Indian word
County Seat, Pulaski, 1846
Carthage, since 1848
Erected 1936 by the State of Texas. (Marker Number 10839.)
Location. 32° 9.425′ N, 94° 20.281′ W. Marker is in Carthage, Texas, in Panola County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Shelby Street and East Panola Street (Business U.S. 79). Touch for map. Located on east side of the town square. Marker is at or near this postal address: 110 Shelby Street, Carthage TX 75633, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jonathan Anderson (a few steps from this marker); Margie Neal (a few steps from this marker); Central Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); In Memory of Jimmy Arnold (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jim Reeves (approx. 3.6 miles away).
More about this marker. This is one of the pink granite, 1936 Centennial Highway markers.
Also see . . . Wikipedia article on Panola County, Texas. (Submitted on July 2, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Native Americans • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 2, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 2, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 105 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 2, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.