Kennedale in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Kennedale Independent School District
The first school was a two-story frame building located near the current Administration Building, with all students taught by one teacher. At that time, the academic year was only two months, suiting the needs of the agricultural community. Over the next twenty years, the area grew and so did the need for educational facilities.
In 1913, the Kennedale ISD purchased this site for a new school. To reflect the town's brick manufacturing heritage, the new two-story building was constructed with brick. Although the building had no running water or restroom facilities, the property included a large green space for gardening or outdoor activities. The second floor of the school featured movable walls to create an auditorium for school and community plays and events.
In 1938, seeking federal assistance to expand the school campus, the school district applied for funding through the Works Progress Administration (WPA). While it is unknown if the school district was awarded federal funds to build new
Erected 2016 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18476.)
Location. 32° 38.856′ N, 97° 13.31′ W. Marker is in Kennedale, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker is at the intersection of West Kennedale Parkway (Business U.S. 287) and Crestview Drive, on the left when traveling south on West Kennedale Parkway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 W Kennedale Pkwy, Kennedale TX 76060, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hawkins Cemetery (approx. 1.8 miles away); General Edward H. Tarrant (approx. 5.6 miles away); Harrison Cemetery (approx. 8.1 miles away); Mt. Zion Baptist Church (approx. 8.1 miles away); Grammer-Pierce House (approx. 8.3 miles away); Isham Cemetery (approx. 8.4 miles away); Fairmount-Southside Historic District (approx. 8.7 miles away); Booker T. Washington School (approx. 9.1 miles away).
More about this marker. This marker stands in front of the stone wall mentioned in the marker text.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 6, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 4, 2017, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 155 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 4, 2017, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.