Jayton in Kent County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Young and Bexar territories
Created August 21, 1876
Organized November 8, 1892
Named in honor of
who fell at the Alamo
Clairmont, the County Seat, 1892
Jayton, since 1952
Erected 1936 by the State of Texas. (Marker Number 2926.)
Location. 33° 14.869′ N, 100° 34.411′ W. Marker is in Jayton, Texas, in Kent County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street (Texas Route 70) and East 4th Street, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. Touch for map. Located on the north side of the Kent County Courthouse grounds. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 North Main Street, Jayton TX 79528, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Double Mountain Salt Works (here, next to this marker); First National Bank Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 0.7 miles away); Putoff Canyon (approx. 3.1 miles away).
More about this marker. This is one of the pink granite, 1936 Centennial Highway markers.
Also see . . . The Texas State Historical Association article on Kent County. (Submitted on July 7, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Political Subdivisions • War, Texas Independence •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 7, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 7, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 108 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 7, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.