Crosbyton in Crosby County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Henry Clay Smith
—High Plains Pioneer —
At start of Civil War, he was miner at Pinos Altos, New Mexico and joined in moves to take gold and silver mines for South. But Indian raids closed mines.
When the Confederate Army withdrew from Arizona and Mexico in 1861, Smith along with others joined the South's cause. Served four years in Texas and spent rest of his life here.
Replica of old rock house he built near here in 1877 is now shown in museum at Crosbyton.
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 2477.)
Location. 33° 39.59′ N, 101° 14.343′ W. Marker is in Crosbyton, Texas, in Crosby County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street and South Berkshire Avenue, on the right when traveling east on West Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 West Main Street, Crosbyton TX 79322, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Crosbyton (within shouting distance of this marker); The Rock House (within shouting distance of this marker); Crosby County Citizens National Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Lamar Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Work Building (about 400 feet away); Crosby County Courthouse (about 500 feet away); J. J. Pierce (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Crosbyton.
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 8, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 8, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 84 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 8, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.