Natchez in Adams County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
St. Catherine Creek Italian Colony
On January 21, 1905, a number of families from struggling farming communities near Bologna, Italy, left Genoa bound for New York aboard the S.S. Montevideo. Many of these families ventured south, some settling in this area near St. Catherine Creek. In 1913 the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic Church was established by Father Patrick Hayden, the priest at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Natchez, to serve the community. The parish became its own parish on July 1, 1957, under Father Thomas Tuite.
Erected 2013 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
Location. 31° 33.863′ N, 91° 21.248′ W. Marker is in Natchez, Mississippi, in Adams County. Marker is at the intersection of Morgantown Road and T Waring Bennett Jr. Road, on the left when traveling north on Morgantown Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10 Morgantown Road, Natchez MS 39120, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Soldiers Retreat (approx. 1.2 miles away); DAR And The Natchez Trace (approx. 1.3 miles Origin of the Natchez Trace (approx. 1.3 miles away); Forks of the Road Historical Site (approx. 1.9 miles away); Forks of the Road (approx. 1.9 miles away); History of St. Catherine Street (approx. 1.9 miles away); Wharlest Jackson, Sr. (approx. 2 miles away); Music on St. Catherine Street (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Natchez.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 9, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 9, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 69 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 9, 2017.