Eastland in Eastland County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Early Settlers of Eastland County
Post-Civil War settlers included such leaders as Dr. Edwin Daniel Townsend, who arrived from Kentucky in 1871. The county was organized in an election held Dec. 2, 1873, with Merriman designated county seat (in violation of legislation creating
Erected 1972 by the State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1351.)
Location. 32° 24.02′ N, 98° 49.136′ W. Marker is in Eastland, Texas, in Eastland County. Marker is at the intersection of South Lamar Street and West Olive Street, on the right when traveling north on South Lamar Street. Located flat to the wall of the Eastland Centennial Memorial Library at the south end of building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 210 South Lamar Street, Eastland TX 76448, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Christian Church (a few steps from this marker); Eastland County World War I Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Camp Salmon / Texas Civil War Frontier Defense (about 300 feet away); Eastland (about 400 feet away); First United Methodist Church of Eastland (about 400 feet away); Eastland County Courthouse (about 400 feet away); The Bankhead Highway (about 400 feet away); Early Banking in Eastland (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eastland.
Also see . . . History of Eastland County, Texas. (Submitted on July 9, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Early Settlers of Eastland County.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 9, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 9, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 275 times since then and 129 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 9, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.