Eastland in Eastland County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Christian Church
The church has a history of ecumenical programs, working in partnership with local Presbyterian and Methodist churches. The congregations have held combined summer evening worship services, as well as vacation bible schools and youth group events.
The church has played an active role in the community it serves. The Men’s Fellowship Bible Class, also interdenominational, has been a vital part of Eastland. Members have developed many service projects, including construction of a park in an African American community during the era of segregation and the collection and delivery of items for Thanksgiving and Christmas drives. The church has focused on outreach through missions and local service, as members established a food pantry for senior citizens, a jail ministry and children’s mission fund to distribute supplies to needy students. The church has also opened its doors to local organizations and activities, including blood drives.
Erected 2006 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13618.)
Location. 32° 24.024′ N, 98° 49.147′ W. Marker is in Eastland, Texas, in Eastland County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of South Lamar Street and West Olive Street. Touch for map. Marker is within the bushes on front right side of church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 215 South Lamar Street, Eastland TX 76448, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Early Settlers of Eastland County (a few steps from this marker); Eastland County World War I Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Camp Salmon / Texas Civil War Frontier Defense (about 300 feet away); First United Methodist Church of Eastland (about 300 feet away); Eastland (about 400 feet away); Eastland County Courthouse (about 400 feet away); The Bankhead Highway (about 400 feet away); Early Banking in Eastland (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eastland.
1. Corner Monument
Established in 1878, First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), Eastland, began meeting in this building in 1907 after a fire destroyed its forerunner. It is believed that the current rock foundation was salvaged from the fire and used as the foundation for the current building. The old church bell behind the church building was also salvaged from the burned church property.
— Submitted March 15, 2018, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 9, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 96 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 9, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. 4, 5. submitted on March 15, 2018, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.