Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Shreveport in Caddo Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Fort Turnbull

 
 
Fort Turnbull Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 28, 2017
1. Fort Turnbull Marker
Inscription.
This marks the site
of
Fort Turnbull
one of the eighteen batteries
and four forts which formed
the Confederate defenses
of Shreveport
1864 – 1865

 
Location. 32° 30.158′ N, 93° 43.277′ W. Marker is in Shreveport, Louisiana, in Caddo Parish. Marker is on Veterans Way north of East Stoner Avenue. Touch for map. Located under the flagpole of the Overton Brooks VA Medical Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 510 East Stoner Avenue, Shreveport LA 71101, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. This Marks the Site of Battery 1 (here, next to this marker); Fort Humbug (approx. ¼ mile away); Coates Bluff (approx. 0.7 miles away); "Hell's Angels" (approx. 2.4 miles away); Dedicated to the 44th Bomb Group (H) (approx. 2.4 miles away).
 
Regarding Fort Turnbull. The purpose of Fort Turnbull — to bombard Union ships navigating the Red River with “enfilade fire,” or fire directed along the ships’ longest axis. Also known as “flanking fire,” it would have been carried out by a variety of bronze and iron cannon mounted on the flat areas of what is
Fort Turnbull Marker is on immediate left of flagpole. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 28, 2017
2. Fort Turnbull Marker is on immediate left of flagpole.
now Overton Brooks VA Hospital, as well as smaller forts in the surrounding area. These fort sites also contained “bomb proofs,” or earth-covered shelters, and rifle trenches for Confederate soldiers.

But the ships never came, and after its founding the fort never saw action for the duration of the war. Cut off from the rest of the Confederacy after the Battle of Vicksburg, Fort Turnbull became a part of a region that was largely independent from the rest of the Confederacy.

With a lack of equipment or skilled labor, three forts and twelve batteries were quickly constructed in the Shreveport area. Federal spies reported that Shreveport was heavily armed with cannons, and Federal Admiral Porter and General Nathaniel Banks, who believed this, turned around. Of course, Fort Turnbull, the original name of the fort, was nothing but felled trees, cut, burned and fashioned to look like cannons. General John Bankhead Magruder was correct when he described it as nothing but a “humbug” and the Fort Humbug name stuck.
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesWar, US Civil
 
View of VA Hospital and flapole area. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 28, 2017
3. View of VA Hospital and flapole area.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 11, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 78 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 11, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement