Shreveport in Caddo Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
This Marks the Site of Battery 1
One of the eighteen batteries
and four forts which formed
the Confederate defenses
1864 – 1865
Location. 32° 30.157′ N, 93° 43.278′ W. Marker is in Shreveport, Louisiana, in Caddo Parish. Marker can be reached from Veterans Way north of East Stoner Avenue. Touch for map. Located under the flagpole of the Overton Brooks VA Medical Center (former location of Fort Turnbull). Marker is at or near this postal address: 510 East Stoner Avenue, Shreveport LA 71101, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Turnbull (here, next to this marker); Fort Humbug (approx. ¼ mile away); Coates Bluff (approx. 0.7 miles away); Old Bossier Municipal Building (approx. 1.1 miles away); Gen. E. Kirby Smith Residence (approx. 1.4 miles away); Central Station (approx. 1½ miles away); 525 Spring Street (approx. 1.7 miles away); Harrison Building (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Shreveport.
Regarding This Marks the Site of Battery 1. The artillery and other emplacements are long gone. Most if not all of the cannons that remained were
There were 12-pound Napoleons, thirty-twos and Navy sixty-fours. The Navy measures their artillery differently than that of the Army so a ‘sixty-four’ can actually fit in a ‘thirty-two'.
However, not all of the fort’s cannon were iron and bronze, some were made of wood. They were called ‘Quaker guns'. They were large tree logs, imagine telephone poles, strapped to an iron carriage with wheels and painted black. To ‘Yankee spies’ across the river, they looked like actual cannon, which was kind of the point. These decoy cannon were meant to give the impression of an even greater arsenal. One such cannon can be found near the medical center at the Louisiana National Guard post adjacent to the facility.
Because of the Quaker guns, Fort Turnbull became known as “Fort Humbug” as the fake cannon were said to be a ‘humbug’ meant to feign Union forces. The name stuck, and the National Guard Post near the hospital is known today as Fort Humbug as well as the original fort site in its entirety.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 11, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 97 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 11, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.