Washington in Adams County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Territorial capital 1802-17. Statehood constitutional convention held here in 1817. Legislature met here until 1820. During its great days, it was known as the "Versailles" of the territory.
Erected 1969 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
Location. 31° 34.765′ N, 91° 18.032′ W. Marker is in Washington, Mississippi, in Adams County. Marker is on Jefferson College Street north of U.S. 61, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington MS 39190, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dr. John W. Monette (a few steps from this marker); Andrew Jackson at Washington (within shouting distance of this marker); Jefferson Military College (within shouting distance of this marker); The President's House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Washington Campground (about 700 feet away); Elizabeth Female Academy Site of Elizabeth Female College (approx. 0.6 miles away); Foster Mounds (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Washington.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 11, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 110 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 11, 2017.