Stanford Female College
The Stanford Female Seminary was incorporated by the Ky. Legislature on Feb. 26, 1869, but the name was changed to the Stanford Female College in 1871. The original brick structure (west side of building) was completed & the college opened in the fall of 1872. The next year, an addition was built & the original structure housed the students.
College was organized by citizens of Stanford to provide a collegiate education for their daughters. It had 83 graduates during its history. The school was forced to close in 1907, because it couldn't compete with the public schools supported with tax money. After its closure, the Stanford Elementary School was located here until the 1930s.
Erected 2015 by Kentucky Historical Society, Kentucky Department of Highways & Fox Funeral Home. (Marker Number 2457.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 37° 31.748′ N, 84° 39.886′ W. Marker is in Stanford, Kentucky, in Lincoln County. Marker is on W Main St, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of Fox Funeral Home. Marker is at or near this postal address: 312 W Main St, Stanford KY 40484, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
Also see . . . Stanford Female College. (Submitted on July 11, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 12, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 11, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 52 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 11, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.