Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Albany in Shackelford County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Mackenzie Trail

 
 
The Mackenzie Trail Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, July 8, 2017
1. The Mackenzie Trail Marker
Inscription. In the fall of 1874, Col. Ranald S. Mackenzie and his 4th Cavalry Regiment were under orders to drive large bands of hostile Indians in northwest Texas back to the Ft. Sill Reservation. In a fierce battle Sept. 26-28, 1874, in Palo Duro Canyon, the Indians, who dismounted and fought from the rocks on the bluffs, were routed. The better of their captured horses were used as cavalry remounts and others were given to the Tonkawa guides but nearly 2,000 had to be killed because it was too far to an army post to drive them there. Set afoot, the Indians could no longer depredate.
     Mackenzie’s big supply base for the campaign, at the confluence of Duck Creek and the Salt Fork of the Brazos, was furnished from Ft. Griffin, 1-1/4 miles ESE of this site. The road crossed here and the ruts made by the frequent wagon trains of supplies were plainly visible when pointed out about 1926 by J.A. Matthews, then owner of this site. The road continued west along the present fence line between the Matthews and Nail ranches, crossing the Clear Fork on the Nail Ranch at what is still known as “The Mackenzie Crossing.” The Mackenzie Trail became a well travelled road used by both buffalo hunters and plains settlers.
     Born in New York July 27, 1840, Mackenzie died Jan. 19, 1889, and was buried at West Point, where he had graduated
View to East-South-East towards Fort Griffin image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, July 8, 2017
2. View to East-South-East towards Fort Griffin
highest in the class of 1862. Early in his career, Gen. U.S. Grant had regarded him as “the most promising young officer in the army.”
 
Erected 1992.
 
Location. 32° 55.986′ N, 99° 14.972′ W. Marker is near Albany, Texas, in Shackelford County. Marker is on County Road 182 2.3 miles north of U.S. 283, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Albany TX 76430, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Black Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Griffin (approx. one mile away); Fort Griffin Lodge Hall (approx. 1.1 miles away); Frontier Town of Fort Griffin (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Western Cattle Trail Crossings at Fort Griffin (approx. 1.1 miles away); Fort Griffin Civil Jail (approx. 1.2 miles away); Civilian Conservation Corps at Fort Griffin (approx. 1.2 miles away); Russell Young Gilbert (approx. 1˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albany.
 
Also see . . .  Ranald Slidell Mackenzie. An article from the Texas State Historical Association’s “Handbook of Texas Online” about the U.S. Army officer for whom the trail is named. (Submitted on July 11, 2017.) 
 
Categories. Roads & VehiclesWars, US Indian
 
View to South on County Road 182 image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, July 8, 2017
3. View to South on County Road 182
Marker is on left (east) side of road
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 11, 2017, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 60 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 11, 2017, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement